Friday, December 2, 2011

the.hunger.games

I love to read. Everyone knows that about me. But lately, I guess I've just been to busy to drop everything and stay up past my bedtime to read. Reading can definitely have a negative affect on my daily routine. First I don't get enough sleep which makes me grouchy. Then, in the morning, when I'm grouchy and tired, I can't focus, and nothing gets accomplished. And if the book I'm reading is particularly interesting, I become transported to another world for a few days, where I laugh and cry right along with the characters as if I knew them personally. It's a crazy emotional roller coaster, and I love it.

And this week, I was reminded how much I love to read a good book. So that's what I did before I met Wes. I really had forgotten what it's like. I mean, the last time I've had an emotional roller coaster experience with a book was almost 5 years ago when I read Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. Oh, what an amazing book! You'll have to check that one out if you haven't already.

Anyhow, a few days ago, a friend of mine came into the Listening Lab and started talking about a book she had just read, The Hunger Games, by Susanne Collins. I had never heard of it, even though apparently, it's a kinda big deal right now. So she let me borrow it, and let me just say you won't be able to put it down. The worst part is, or maybe it's the best part, I haven't decided yet, it's a trilogy. So now I get to read two more books THAT I DON'T HAVE! Christmas list anyone?


Just to give you a heads up on what it's about, here's the summary on the back cover of the book:

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capital surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

Now while you go read the first book, I'm going to go hunt down the second. I can't wait any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment