Tuesday, August 9, 2011

hearing.vs.doing

Sometimes, it's the simple things that catch your attention when nothing else does. Sunday at church, Wes and I went to his parent's Life Group class. It's really like a Sunday School class. This particular group is primarily for new Christians or those who want to grasp the basics of the Christian faith. Wes and I dropped by just for fun. The lesson for the day was on the assurance of guidance. You would think that something so inherently simple would be just that -- simple. But it wasn't. Please understand, it is "simple" in that it's straightforward and easy to comprehend. But as much as you hear and comprehend the truths and promises in the Bible, they mean nothing if you do not take heed and do what they tell you to do.

But prove yourselves doers of the Word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.
James 1:22

Basically, the passage being studied was Proverbs 3: 5-6. First of all, this is my favorite passage in the Bible. I could probably quote it backwards in my sleep. Secondly, I've heard it over and over and over. It's one of those verses like Jeremiah 29:11.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3: 5-6

As we began to take apart each passage, my eyes were opened to recognize more than I ever knew was there. As I was sitting in that class with pride in the fact that I knew all the verses, considering myself capable of even teaching the class, I began to realize how wrong I was. In my head, I could list everything we were talking about that I've known all my life, but that I wasn't actually doing -- at least not on a consistent basis. Surrendering myself to God in order to trust in Him, worrying, not consistently tithing, etc. In just that one simple Bible lesson, I was put back in my place. I am no better off than someone who has never heard these things if I don't start doing and not just hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment